Über mich

Mein Bild
This blog is about what I think...

Doctor Who Caught by Hate in the Net, or “People plus technology minus humanity. "



The Doctor Falls

Isn't it cute, how the hipster "I call myself a fan, but actually I just love to hate it" crowd, call themselves experts these days and hate everything typically Doctor-Whoish about Doctor Who? What actually made this show what it is today? What makes it so different and special? Just because it's become so fashionable to diss everything with stolen words these days? They didn't get half the nods, either out of genuinely not knowing the show and its past, or simply because they were being too busy live-tweeting how bad it all is and how utterly boring the show has become, to even notice. Let me tell You, from someone who has watched and loved this show for almost half a Century now, this "finale" if you may call it that, was made in the great tradition of the other regenerations, semiregenerations, endings and beginnings, and will even rank in my personal top three of all times, as far as pace, acting, storytelling, loving nods, references and touching homages count. 
This adorably sweet-scary-edge-of-seat-sitting finale was a deep deep bow by Capaldi, Moffat and the team, to all who came before them, and deserves ten curtain calls. 

Do any of the haters realise how many Doctors he quoted in this season finale alone? Or where the Tardis actually landed when he met One? What planet it was? Does the Tenth Planet ring a bell? No? Yea, thought so. Or any of this stuff...

“Sontarans! Perverting the course of human history!"
“Without hope, without witness, without reward”.
“I know you’ve fallen”
“It’s the scarecrows – new ones!”
"I don't want to go!" 
“When The Doctor was me”
"Without hope, without witness, without reward" (yes, I adore River, so she gets two mentions for that fact alone.) 
"While there’s tears, there’s hope,” doesn't that remind you of Pertwee's last words?: “A tear, Sarah Jane? No, don’t cry. While there’s life there’s…” 
The Jellybabies...
The master and his dancing wheelchair...
I could go on and on... And I'm sure I missed many more, simply because my first encounters with the Doctor were in Italian ;) 

Missy’s display of empathy, because she's a woman... that one actually reminded me of Douglas Adams', POV-gun storyline. (Douglas Adams having written some of my favourite DW storylines in the past, this could very well be another nod. After all, Moffat and Capaldi know their Doctor Who well, very well!)

The landing on the tenth planet, where it all began? That was some utterly gobsmacking telly! With the brilliant David Bradley returning as the first Doctor/Hartnell. "The Doctor? Dear me, no. I’m the Doctor. The original, you might say.” Oh, I can't wait for the Christmas episode...
His speech: "... I do what I do because it’s right! Because it’s decent. And above all, it’s kind. It’s just that. Just kind. If I run away today, good people will die. If I stand and fight, some of them might live … maybe not many, maybe not for long. Hey, maybe there’s no point in any of this at all, but it’s the best I can do, and I will stand here doing it until it kills me. You’re going to die, too, someday. When will that be? Have you thought about it? What would you die for? Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall.” 

I mean, come on! That was bloody brilliant. That was a mic drop moment. 

Ok, yes, the Bill/Pilot thing reminded me a bit too much of the Clara/Ashildr departure in the last series finale. But hey, the universe is big enough for four badass girls in their respective flying (time) machines. And yes, since the pilot can fly everything, I'm sure she can get a hold of a time machine as well... thus flying the Tardis being no problem. I think Bill deserved her very own, very unique happy end. As unique as she was. But that's just me. Because I really liked her. Bill was heartwarming and innocent with a heart of gold and Nardole was a funny, sweet devoted and humble sidekick. And he was adorable! I don't understand all the hate they are getting. The interactions of all three characters were absolutely hilarious. And each story had something to take back into reality. Something good. Something about sacrifice, decency, love, compassion and respect. Classic beautiful storytelling.

All together; It was a very beautiful series finale, filled with so much love, I even shed a few tears! It reminded me of why I fell in love with this show, many many years ago. Yes, I admit it. I remembered what I felt like as a little kid, hiding behind the sofa with her teddy bear in her arms, but her eyes still fermly glued to the screen. Fading out the entire world around her. (I remember, my mind being like the Tardis, flying into the vortex when the show began. The first few notes really drew me in...) 
This finale gives me hope for the future of this franchise; It will be good! “The Doctors will return at Christmas” indeed, and what a present this will be for those willing to take it in...

It saddens me to see how much was missed by those eager to hate everything. Watching something with wondering eyes and an open mind, seems impossible for them. But bashing all and everyone who dare speak up and actually like it and saying so out loud, is not impossible for them; It's daily business. 

I mean, writing a hateful review shredding an episode to confetti, before the episode even aired, just because the name Moffat appears, doesn't make you cool, it makes you a pathetic angry little troll. Critiquing some factual errors, or poor acting, plot holes, with logical arguments is one thing, hating everything for hates' sake is another. 

To me, Doctor Who was and still is about hope, is about love and bigger goals. It's about not giving up, even when life throws thousands of Mondasian Cybermen at you. It is humanistic to its core. It is about dreams and imagination. It's about believing in greater good! And to truly understand its beauty you must be willing to abandon yourself in the stories to a certain extent, immerse into this crazy, colourful, weird universe. And enjoy it for a while. It is about rediscovering your inner child. Remembering what it felt like when gran told you a bedtime story.
Try it. It will enhance your life dramatically. It's your choice to hate everything coming your way, or trying to see the beauty in it. You will always find hate and love in the same places. It just depends on what YOU are looking for! 

As Missy said, "It's time to stand with the Doctor!" Or stop watching..

#DoctorWho #TheDoctorFalls 

And then came Jody... and the new Who white male fanbase mostly from across the pond exploded! Oy vey! 



Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen